What Causes Harmful Candida to Grow?

Several things can change our beneficial Candida into a harmful yeast.  It can even start in utero.  If your mother lacked beneficial gut bacteria she couldn’t pass these on to any of her babies.  Or maybe you or your mother took repeated antibiotics, steroids, or the contraceptive pill for years, or ate a high sugar diet.  All of these can cause an over-proliferation of Candida – here a candida detox is beneficial.

What I am going to talk about today, however, is the link between mercury fillings and Candida.

Mercury Cleanse and Candida Detox: My Personal Story

For years I suffered from systemic Candida before I became a health practitioner.  I took the recommended anti-fungal supplementation and avoided the foods that feed yeast infection, faithfully following the Candida Diet and treatment protocol for many months.  Then I’d be invited to a birthday or New Year’s Eve party and my friends would offer me a glass of wine and cake or ciabatta and I’d blow it.  I tried this approach for years, but the Candida symptoms remained.

The hardest part was feeling so socially excluded.  All the foods that are typically consumed at celebrations such as alcohol, cakes, biscuits, chocolates, ice-cream, pizzas, pasta and bread, feed Candida.  If I managed not to eat any of the “forbidden foods” I missed out on the fun.  Sharing good food is a social event.  When I caved in and enjoyed the gastronomy my punishment was an energy crash after the meal so severe I was hardly able to socialise.  I couldn’t win.  Also, I couldn’t understand why despite being “really good” for six months, as soon as I consumed one of these foods again, Candida symptoms returned with a vengeance.  My speciality was terrible depression lasting several hours whenever I ate wheat or sugar, and the horrible, inevitable energy crash where all I wanted to do was go to bed and sleep.  Yet sleep brought little improvement in energy.  I was aware that if I went to my GP I would be prescribed anti-depressants and I knew these weren’t the answer to my problems.

I didn’t know what to do or who to turn to.

Desperate, I visited a Kinesiologist.  She found that my numerous amalgam fillings were preventing me from clearing my fungal infection.  I had eight large mercury fillings, typical of my baby-boomer generation.  What I hadn’t realised was that mercury fillings release mercury vapour into your body for at least 1 ½ hours every time you consume food or drink, chew on gum, or brush your teeth (1).  Did you know that using your mobile phone can cause a release of mercury from your fillings? (2).  Your fillings can release between 4 to 40 mcg of mercury daily into your body (3).  I was unaware that mercury was building up over time and that it causes systemic harm as well as promoting the growth of harmful Candida.

If you’d like to see how amalgam fillings are constantly releasing mercury watch the start of this video.  If you want to understand the impact this is having on your body watch the whole video by the IAMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology).

Mercury is a neurotoxin that destroys the cells lining in your stomach and intestine, causing holes in your gut, or leaky gut.  It can damage your brain, central nervous, immune, cardiovascular and neurological systems.  There is growing evidence that mercury is one of the causes of Alzheimer’s (3).  Mercury fillings can cause over 30 chronic health conditions (4).  Mercury fillings are about to be banned in Europe for children and pregnant women, finally (5).

What you don’t want to do is rush out and have all your amalgam fillings removed by any old dentist.  How your fillings are removed is extremely important.  If removed without taking certain precautions you may inhale a dangerous amount of mercury vapour.

  • Only go to a dentist who is mercury aware
  • Your dentist should attach you to an oxygen tank as he removes your fillings so you don’t breathe through your mouth and inhale mercury vapour from drilling
  • Your dentist should either place a rubber dam in your mouth so you don’t swallow or inhale any toxins or
  • Use a high-volume suction tube near the tooth at all times to evacuate the mercury vapour
  • Your dentist should ask you to rinse your mouth out immediately after the fillings have been removed

For more information on the safe removal of mercury fillings see the following link:  http://www.naturalhealth365.com/amalgam-mercury-baby-boomers-1643.html

Some Steps You Need To Take before Removing Your Mercury Fillings:

  • Reduce your consumption of tuna to once a week.  Tuna is high in mercury
  • Keep hydrated to help your paths of detoxification.  If you are dehydrated your cells can’t detoxify
  • If you are constipated take something to get your bowels moving daily.  You main routes of detoxification need to be open and working before you remove your fillings.  OxyTech by Dulwich Health is a supplement I recommend for constipation.  It is magnesium oxide bonded to oxygen and ozone.  You can vary your dose according to your personal needs.  It is a very gentle laxative:  http://dulwichhealth.co.uk/product-category/oxytech/
  • Support your liver detoxification with supplements such as ionic zinc, NAC, vitamin C, milk thistle, chlorella, and diatomaceous earth.  Continue this while having your fillings removed and for several months afterwards.  Find a practitioner who is able to guide you through this mercury detoxification.
  • Mercury toxicity makes you acidic.  Alkalise yourself by taking organic cider vinegar 1 tablespoon daily in water and / or organic bicarbonate of soda ¼ teaspoon daily

After Your Mercury Fillings Have Been Removed

Once you have removed the mercury from your mouth the Toxic Element Clearance Test at Genova labs will show your total tissue burden of toxic metals.  You can only run this test after you are mercury-free because it involves taking a chelating agent which gently pushes the mercury out of your tissues.  You don’t want to take a chelating agent while you have mercury fillings as it will cause your fillings to release more mercury into your body.  I suggest you find a practitioner who is able to guide you through this.

Hair Mineral Testing Is Not A Reliable Test For Mercury Toxicity

Hair mineral testing repeated over time can show the total body burden of toxic metals, but this is not an accurate measure of how much mercury you have in your body as it only reveals the amount of mercury (or other heavy metals) you are managing to eliminate at this moment in time.  If you are adrenally exhausted you will not be detoxing metals and you might show up as having low mercury toxicity when this is not the case.

Mercury Remains In Your Body

Simply removing your amalgam fillings won’t eliminate the mercury they have already released into your body.  You need to actively detoxify in order to remove mercury, or indeed any toxic metals, from your body.