In my last blog I spoke about how the flu vaccine possibly doesn’t protect you from catching flu. In this blog I feel it’s important to cover what we can do to protect ourselves and improve our immunity through the winter months if we choose not to have the flu jab.
Firstly, I suggest getting your levels of vitamin D tested. This can be arranged through your GP by asking for a Vitamin D blood test or you can order the test kit online using the following link and simply post a sample of blood obtained from a pin prick back to the lab for £28: betteryou.com/vitamin-d-testing-service
The reason for getting tested is, Vitamin D is toxic if we take it when we don’t have a deficiency. It isn’t like vitamin C, which we simply excrete if we take more than our body needs. Like iron and calcium, vitamin D is a nutrient our liver cannot eliminate and it can build up to toxic levels if we take it to excess. How do we know if we need either vitamin D or iron? We organise a test.
From where do we obtain vitamin D? Above all we absorb vitamin D from sunshine. One of the problems is that most of us aren’t outside exposed to the rays of the sun as often as we used to be when we were hunter gatherers some 10,000 years ago. Also, the dangers of exposing yourself to the sun have been emphasised so much that we cover up with sun cream all the time, which prevents the absorption of vitamin D. Ideally, we want to have 20 minutes of medium-strength sunshine daily which for most of us is impractical, yet the way our bodies are designed to keep healthy. You can find more information on Vitamin D here from Dr Mercola.1.
Secondly, support your immune system with other immune supplements2. You can reduce the chances of the virus developing and its severity and duration by supplementing with some of the following as soon as you feel you are coming down with flu:
- Vitamin C is a time-tested and well known immune support. Adults can take 3-4 gr daily and children half this amount. If your stools become loose reduce the dosage
- Zinc is an anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Adults can take 30mg daily and children half this amount (or less). Best taken after eating to avoid nausea
- Sambucus or black elderberry extract is an effective anti-viral and can be purchased from Health Food Shops or online
- A multi-immune support such as DIP / Daily Immune Protection by Good Health Naturally has a bundle of great immune support ingredients all in one, listed below.
- EpiCor® Dried Yeast Fermentate)
- eXselen™ Selenium (exceeds daily value)
- Vitamin D3 (exceeds daily value)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) (exceeds daily value)
- Zinc Glycinate Chelate 20%
- Dimethylglycine HCL
- Elderberry Fruit Extract 4:1
- Larch Arabinogalactan Powder
- Immune Assist – Micron Powder
- Beta Glucan 1,3 (Glucan 85%)
It can be ordered online from: goodhealthaffiliates.postaffiliatepro.com/scripts/fdn0xnuyc?id=2304&bid=dac856ed
5. Other immune system supports are:
- Oregano Oil
- Olive Leaf
- Cat’s Claw
Drinking plenty of warm herbal teas and eating less helps direct your energy towards fighting off infections rather than digesting your food.
Stay in Touch
Join Tara's mailing list to receive updates and articles to empower you to regain your health, naturally.