Sunshine is important for our health. Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that we get from exposure to sunshine or from supplementing with Vitamin D. Vitamin D improves our immunity. It helps us fight colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections.
Optimal Vitamin D levels could help you prevent at least 16 different types of cancer including1:
A large-scale study showed that Vitamin D can also cut cancer risk by 60%1.
Vitamin D can also help with:
- Cardiovascular disease – one study showed that Vitamin D deficiency increased your risk of heart attack by 50%2
- Autoimmune diseases – People suffering from these are often found to be deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin D improves your immunity
- Infections – supplementing with Vitamin D throughout winter is likely to be more effective than having a flu vaccination
- DNA repair, including aging
- Osteoporosis – Vitamin D helps you absorb calcium. Adding Vitamin K2 to Vitamin D3 reduces lifetime probability of at least one fracture by 25%. Both D3 and K2 have a synergistic effect on your bones and overall health
- Healthy Gut Flora3
- Metabolic Syndrome3
- People with inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis) are likely to be deficient in Vitamin D
According to a study by Cambridge University one in ten people in Britain over 40 years old is deficient in Vitamin D1. Vitamin D deficiency lowers your immunity. Deficiency is associated with conditions such as rickets in children, bone-fractures, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, autism, respiratory ailments, cardiovascular disease, cancers and more4,5.
Why It Is Important To Take Vitamin D3 and K2 With Calcium For Bone Health
There is new evidence that Vitamin K2 directs calcium to your bones and prevents calcium from being deposited where you don’t want it e.g. in your arteries. Plaque can form in your arteries from calcium deposits and kidney and gallstones can be caused by excess calcium being deposited in these organs. Vitamin K2 helps bind calcium into the matrix of your bones. So while Vitamin D3 helps your body to absorb calcium, it is Vitamin K2 that directs this calcium to your bones and away from the areas where you don’t want it deposited.
You can do a simple pin prick test to find out your Vitamin D levels. Since excess Vitamin D is toxic you want to test yourself before starting Vitamin D supplementation. As with calcium, you don’t want to take it if you are not deficient. However, if you are low in Vitamin D it is important that you restore your levels to protect your gut health and your overall immunity.
You can ask your GP to arrange for a Vitamin D blood test or you can order the test kit online using the following link and simply post back to the lab for £28: betteryou.com/vitamin-d-testing-service
When taking Vitamin D, I recommend an oil based supplement or taking your pill with oil not water. Vitamin D is oil-soluble and taking it with water blocks its absorption.
A great vitamin D oil combined with Vitamin K can be ordered from Amazon: amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-Liquid-Drops-MK-7-Full/dp/B00VF8DPZI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1510228538&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=vitamin+d+and+k&psc=1
- The Vitamin D Solution, Dr Holick