There are several health issues that lead to chronic fatigue – a condition that leaves you feeling tired and fatigued. This is a broad term that includes several possible causes either alone or in combination:
- Viral infections such as Epstein-Barr, Herpes, Micoplasma or a combination of these
- Bacterial Infections such as Lyme Disease
- Pathological gut bacterial overgrowth such as:
- Fungal overgrowth leads to chronic fatigue
- Weakened immunity can be part of the picture
- Leaky Gut
- Any prolonged period of stress affecting our adrenals, thyroid, gut integrity and overall immunity
- Vaccinations can have side-effects that include exhaustion
- Medications can affect your immunity and energy levels
- Thyroid problems, particularly hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s lead to exhaustion
Tired and Fatigued? The Functional Medicine approach
The Functional Medicine approach to chronic fatigue is first to establish the root cause. Lab tests can reveal which organ(s) needs to be treated first.
- Adrenal Cortisol / Cortisone Levels Urine Test tells us if
- Your cortisol levels high or low and which stage of adrenal fatigue are you in
- Full Thyroid Screen
- Charts your thyroid hormone levels; are you suffering from Hashimoto’s where antibodies attack the thyroid gland? Are you producing enough T3?
- Stool Test
- Reveals the presence of parasites; pathological bacteria; lack of Hydrochloric Acid; lack of pancreatic enzymes; lack of beneficial gut flora; hyperacidity; lack of fibre in the diet, and more
- Epstein Barr Test
- Have you the Epstein Barr Virus?
Treatment will include
- Adrenal support either with adrenal glandulars or with some key adrenal nutrients such as B Complex, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin C
- Thyroid support such as thyroid gland, Guggul, Selenium
- Exercise – advice as to how best to exercise, if at all
- Overview of stressors still present in your life and suggestions for support e.g. the Gupta Mind Training Course, Acupuncture, Osteopathy
- Nutritional advice – what best to avoid in your daily diet and what best to include and in what quantities
- Sleep advice – how to improve the quality of your sleep
- Herbal support – herbal tinctures are easily absorbed and can be used as part of the treatment program for glandular support, healing leaky gut, as a sleep aid, as anti-viral or anti-bacterial treatment, adaptogenic support for fatigue
- Homeopathic support – can speed up the healing process and offer organ support
Stay in Touch
Join Tara's mailing list to receive updates and articles to empower you to regain your health, naturally.